Issuing Company: Mutoscope|
Country of Issue: USA
Year of Issue: 1940
Color/B&W: Brown tone
Number of Cards in Set: unknown (unnumbered)
Card Size: 3 1/4" x 5 1/4"
Issued as insert with what product: Came out of coin-operated arcade machines
Notes: Checklist Incomplete. All the movies mentioned on the cards that have been checked are from 1939 and 1940, dating the set to about 1940.
These cards can be identified by the following characteristics:
- They have a brown tone.
- They have the star's name in script, with the studio name on the next line, and a recent film name on the third line. There is also some copyright information on the card front. The cards have postcard backs.
Collector Otis Johnson adds additional information about this set as follows:
1. It looks like the cards were issued with blank backs as well as with PC backs. Of the dozen cards I own, only one (Ann Rutherford) has a PC back.
2. There are two distinct styles of these cards: I am calling them "photo image" and "artwork image". In the scans you can easily see the difference between the two types. Margaret Lindsay and Eleanor Powell are "photo image" while Robert Taylor (who looks a little like The Joker) and Jean Arthur are "artwork image".
3. The captions on the "photo image" cards seem to fall into at least two sub-categories: one type of caption lists name (Eleanor Powell), studio (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) and movie title ("Broadway Melody of 1940") on three lines. The other type of caption only lists two lines: name (Margaret Lindsay) and Universal Star. To further complicate matters, I have a card of Preston Foster that combines the first two styles: Preston Foster, Universal Star, "Society Smugglers" on three lines.
4. All four of the "artwork image" cards I have have the same captioning format. Two lines: Name (Robert Taylor) followed by "Courtesy of Screen Book". (Screen Book was a movie star magazine in the 1930s and 1940s.)
5. Because of the differences in captioning, images, and postcard/blank backs, it is possible that these are multiple sets of cards.
Photo Image Cards
Mischa Auer - Universal Star
Joan Crawford - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - "Ice Follies of 1939" (postcard back)
Nelson Eddy - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - "New Moon" (postcard back)
Preston Foster - Universal Star-"Society Smugglers"
Greer Garson - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer - "Pride and Prejudice"
Margaret Lindsay - Universal Star
Jeanette Macdonald - Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer - "Broadway Serenade"
Maureen O'Sullivan - Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer - "Pride and Prejudice"
Eleanor Powell - Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer - "Broadway Melody of 1940"
Ann Rutherford - Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer - "Andy Hardy Meets Debutante"
Artwork Image Cards
Jean Arthur - "Courtesy of Screen Book" (postcard back)
Madeleine Carroll - "Courtesy of Screen Book"
Alice Fay - "Courtesy of Screen Book"
Robert Taylor - "Courtesy of Screen Book"
American Card Sets Sales List
American Checklists | Movie Card Website Front Page